Wednesday, November 12, 2008

A Lesson Learned....

Last Saturday it was military appreciation night for the University of Alabama Hockey Team. So, we were able to get free tickets to the game. I was excited to go, I knew the kids would love it and you can't really beat free. My biggest dilemma as we were getting ready to leave was which camera to take. I didn't really see a need to bring the big powerful canon. My thoughts were that I wasn't going to be framing any pictures of Hockey players... I could take some pix of the kids before we left the house and then I wouldn't have to carry around the big camera. My other reasoning was that my 8 year old has taken a serious liking to photography and is constantly trying to convince me to let him take pictures - I am MUCH more comfortable with him using my older camera. So... I had decided, and I felt good about the decision, that my old, somewhat reliable Canon power shot would suffice. I packed up the 40D, hoping not to hurt it's feelings, grabbed the power shot and was out the door.

The game was so fun, so exciting and both Jason and Jackson were having so much fun taking pictures of the players - each getting really excited if they managed to capture the puck in the picture. Then, during the break between the first and second period they introduce the parents of all the players. (It was homecoming - I don't think they do this every game) Guess who we then find out is sitting just below us.....Kurt Russel and Goldie Hawn. I could have died, I sat there with all my earlier thoughts running through my head..."I won't need a powerful lens or zoom, what will there really be to take pictures of?" And then, there they are with their perfect hair (seriously, Kurt Russel had AMAZING hair) and I am sitting there with my useless camera. A camera, I had just begun to hate. Why such a strong word, you may wonder? Well, it is because my old camera goes through batteries in what seems like a matter of seconds. (it didn't help that we bought some terrible batteries online because the price seemed so great) So, by the time I realized who was there, I had no camera abilities at all. I did however, have a ton a hokey shots, some even have the puck in it - if your lucky you just might find it.



Here he is....the son....the number one. It was probably a boring night for his whole family. This Mr. Russel is the back up goalie and didn't play all night! :(


So....lesson learned - never again will I leave my nice camera at home. Jason can take all the pictures he can get out of 4 double A batteries on the old one, but I, will always take the newer one. You can never know what picture you may be missing.

On a side note - the part of the evening my husband found hilarious was when in the midst of my frustration I turned to him and said, "I am SO blogging this!"

10 comments:

Hilary said...

That is so Murphy's Law. You know that if you had taken your nice camera you would have been nowhere near Kurt and Goldie, or they would have been sick and unable to attend.

Lynette said...

And who may I ask told you about these free hockey tickets?

steveandamybrossard said...

I can't believe you saw Kurt Russell. Was that here in Huntsville!. WEEEIIIRDDD and ofcourse you took the wrong camera.

Jessica M said...

Kurt Russell, like....Kurt Russell. Shut up. And no camera. That's awesome. And his son is playing Minor league in Huntsville. Right on. So, does he like the movie Miracle??

Anonymous said...

DUDE!! I miss you soooo so much! :/ call me! Please! haha i love you and your family.

Melanie said...

ok so you did good on blogging everyday for awhile! i miss you sonjab!

Raina said...

How awesome! That is too bad.... bum deal!
I see that you signed up Mariah for facebook... good job!

Adriane said...

Sonja,
Oh my word! Do you realize that if you'd brought your nice camera and gotten a pretty good picture of Kurt and Goldie you could have submitted it to People Magazine or one of those other Pop Culture Mags and totally made like $5000.00 or something. Oh well, I'm sorry that you forgot it! Hope you had fun at Thanksgiving. I want to hear all about it! Adriane

Anonymous said...

How are you?
I regularly visit your blog.
Keep on challenging!

Raina said...

Hey I just got your message today. It is now of course too late to call!