Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Political Ramblings




I have always had a love of politics. For as long as I can remember, it had intrigued and fascinated me. Yet, no where on my blog do I ever dare do discuss it. I have been contemplating why all week.




You see, I voted for McCain. I consider myself a conservative, but it wasn't always this way. I was born into a wonderful family full of wonderful hardworking, honest, have their heart in the right place, Democrats. And yes, for many years, I too, was a Democrat. I remember being proud of being one of two Democrats in my high school government class. Even prouder that I was a Democrat that WAS aware of the issues and could debate with the best of them. Becoming conservative was a journey for me, one that I don't often talk about. This is what has perplexed me. I used to LOVE, LOVE, LOVE talking about politics with anyone who would listen. The more they disagreed, the more I loved it. But now, when my parents, or people I care about, question why I don't support Obama, I have a hard time responding. Yesterday I spent the whole day analyzing this, analyzing myself. I have never believed in the "undecided voter." I thought it was just people not willing to admit who they were voting for. People afraid of the conflict or judgement that would follow an answer. Yesterday, I came the closest to being an "undecided voter" I have ever been.


I stopped and asked myself, "why WAS I a democrat, why AM I a conservative?" There are so many democratic ideals that I agree with. I want to help the less fortunate, I do believe those who have prospered by living in this great country have a civic duty to GIVE to others. Obama is very clever in how he words things, he can make it sound like it will all be ok, but something never sits right with me. Why? I didn't want to just spout all the conservative, talk radio, talking points in my answer. (We all know I could, is talk radio ever NOT on in my house!) I wanted the answer to be my own, to be more than something I heard that sounded good. Lets be honest, both sides can sound good and both sides can royally mess things up! Here were my answers, take them for what they are worth to you.




Question #1


Why do I no longer discuss politics?


I am 30 years old and it is still hard for me to disappoint my parents. I want to be everything they ever wanted in a daughter and I know this includes a "democrat" daughter. So, I shy away from the heavy stuff. I remember how I used to feel towards republicans and it kills me to think that this must be how they see me now. Maybe this is why I feel the need to write all this... maybe not.




Question #2


Why did I become conservative, when I felt so strongly the other way?


I believe all Americans should give, should help feed and clothe the hungry, should help educate those around us, should leave our communities better than we found them. However, I don't feel that we should be forced to do this. I don't believe anyone should take away our agency. I always thought republicans were rich and greedy, that they didn't want to pay taxes because they wanted to keep all their money and everyone else could simply fend for themselves. I now feel very, very differently. My husband and I give 10 percent of our income to our church. A church that is well known for helping people in need all over this world. In the past 10 years, Joe Biden, a man who will very likely be our next Vice President, in the last 10 years has given a yearly average of $369 to charity. http://www.usatoday.com/news/politics/election2008/2008-09-12-biden-financial_N.htm He makes way more than my family and this is all he could give to all the people he is claiming to be able to help? Why would I put my faith in and give my money to the federal government, if I want it to do the most good? What does the federal government NOT mess up? Obama doesn't believe in Americans, doesn't believe that Americans would give, that Americans would help. Americans are the MOST giving nation there is. But Obama wants to force us to give. He wants to take more taxes from the rich (and his definition of rich keeps changing - I wonder what it will be by next year) forcing them to help the less fortunate. How much of that money will those people actually see after it makes its way through Washington? I guess what I am trying to say is that I believe conservatives are some of the MOST giving people. They care about helping people, not helping the government.


This may seems simplistic to some. I am sure there are many who would argue with me. There are many other reasons for me to be conservative, but this is the core. This is what makes me proud to be who I am, proud to have voted, and hopeful for the future of this country.




On a side note....OK, maybe I would have more money in my pocket if Obama is elected, and yes, 10% of more is more. BUT, Obama has also stated that he wants to reduce missile defense spending by 25%. That our bread and butter. I am not willing to risk it for what, $500 extra a year?!?




That all I have, I'll be up late tonight watching the returns and all I can say is that I am cautiously optimistic!

5 comments:

Lynette said...

You sold me! I have always been a Republican and never thought into detail why. I've just gone for the conservative side with small government lower taxes. I was thinking about the movie Dave and compare Palin to this movie. They needed money for a shelter and Dave the imposter called his friend who was an accountant and they cut millions off the budge. I think that's what Palin can do. Fresh blood with no crap added.

Lindsay Teague Moreno | 5ive Photo said...

good for you for going out on a limb. It's tough to do with the "anonymous" person viewing your thoughts and feelings...especially when it comes to politics and religion.

No tax break is worth lowering military spending. What good is money when your home is under attack? and no person should be forced to give their money to another. I agree completely with you on that!

Lindsay

Anonymous said...

Good for you. I think we all need to take a step back before we make a generalization on who someone is simply based on what the other side says they are. I can appreciate all people, but I prefer my agency and my ability to choose where my money goes and who it helps. I love helping people and often have extra kids hanging out at my house because their parents are at work and I think someone needs to look out for them. Have a great day and thanks for your thoughts.

Anonymous said...

I'm with you all the way! Agency is the key. No one learns anything when a choice is made for them.

Sara said...

great post sonja- really great.